See here's the thing about camping weekends. I make reservations months in advance. We choose weekends well in advance, working around various summer obstacles. If you wait until the last minute then you can't get a reservation. And of course you can't predict the weather that far into the future. So more or less we're stuck with whatever mother nature deals us on any given weekend. Lame since this weekend sucked and next weekend it's gonna be like 80 degrees. That's seriously the luck we have on a regular basis. Oh well .. the kids love it regardless.
Yuba State Park was an addition we added this year so we weren't sure what to expect. It was a REALLY nice lake in my opinion. Funny since someone told me it was a small lake. Which that wasn't the case in my opinion. However, problem number one when we rolled in was that we ended up with a site that didn't have hook ups for the trailer. Totally my fault since I'm the one that makes the reservations. But I was mad because the guy on the phone asked if I needed hook ups, and I told him yes. Long story short we had no power. Which wouldn't be the end of the world but let's face it people we have become accustomed to camping in a trailer with all amenities! So it meant that we couldn't play cards in the trailer which contrary to what my dad says I think that's half the fun of camping! Plus it was pretty cold. And we couldn't hole up in the trailer out of the cold when we had no lights in there. It bothered Wyland that when he woke up in the middle of the night it was PITCH black (seriously). I think he thought he was blind, "I can't see mom!!!"
We did get a couple gaps in the weather allowing us to get out on the lake for a bit of exploring. The first time out on Saturday was quite nice. Jeramie even ventured out on the wakeboard despite the fact that we forgot to put towels in the boat. The water was really nice and smooth. I would have gone out there myself despite the cool temperatures if we had had towels.
Oh how I love these guys!!
Jeramie was the only brave one.
Ain't looking so brave now!
Even now .. doesn't exactly look like he's enjoying that 51 degree water.
And no it isn't going to warm up.
These guys love the boat.
Sailor the puppy turned out to be a good sailor in real life.
Evidence that we did see blue skies.
The kids love talking on the speakers.
That was Wyland and Jackson buried under there.
Oliver didn't love his life jacket.
I've yet to meet a baby that does.
That first year just isn't much fun.
No Wyland you may not have it .. not even one!
Wyland LOVES Sailer.
We *heart* camping!
Grandma and Baylee
A well deserved beer.
On Sunday after freezing our bums off in the morning we debated about weather to stay or go. Seemed there were several campsites that had packed up and headed home. We were having the same debate. Once it warmed up a little and we had blue skies we headed back out onto the lake. We cruised around a large part of it (however on the map apparently it was only a small part of it). Then all of the sudden the wind changed direction and it started to look rather stormy so we quickly headed off the lake. It didn't take long for the wind to pick up momentum. There was a lot of water spray on the way back and crying kids. At this point we were all cold and wet.
I don't think Wyland remembered the trailer.
He did what 3 year olds do and went in and out and in and out.
Eventually someone managed to break that stupid black handle that's been broken twice before.
Oliver wasn't loving his bumbo that morning. Even with all my attempts to maintain his warmth.
My mandatory boat gear is my North Face rain coat. I don't go on the boat without it.
After our very wet ride back to the dock I vowed to buy all my kids a rain coat as well.
They are a dream on the boat. Because it's never really cold until you get wet.
Oliver ended up with some rosy cheeks.
Then we packed up and headed home.
One day early.
So our first trip out was a small bust.
But the kids still had a blast and we're already looking forward to our next trip.
It's more relaxing for the adults now that Jackson and Wyland are able to entertain themselves.
Oliver is just happy to sit on anyones lap.
Consolation prize was that on Monday we took the kids to see Kung Fu Panda 2.
All of them.
And they were GOOD!
Oh and Sunday night after we came home after much internet searching I found all three kids rain coats at Lands End. PLUS they had a special, spend $75 get $20 off. I love me a good deal!



4 comments:
What you guys do is not camping. ;-}
Your babies are adorable.
Your mom's dog is adorable.
The pictures looked like it was fun.
I would have left after one night...no power and rain.....I am a wimp!
Believe me, what we did was camping.... no electricty, no hook ups, no water on tap! All things are relative!
Considering how crappy the weather was, we actually got a lot done. We were able to inventory the trailer, re-introduce Wyland to the boat and trailer (he was only two last year and seemed to not remember much about it!).We also got to check out Yuba Lake, which is a very do-able trip for a weekend. Plus, the boat got to stretch it's sea legs a couple of times.
And.....we found out that Sailor is a good camper and an excellent Sailor!
They all look like they are having a great time! :-)
I love Yuba :-)
Post a Comment