Monday, June 1, 2009

Pagham Harbour, England

Our next stop was Pagham Harbour. This is where my Nanny's ashes were scattered. My Nanny was very special to me. I grew up with the belief that I was her favorite. Whether this was true or not I cannot attest to. But I believed it, perhaps we all did. While for all my life that I can remember we didn't live near her. We of course had the Atlantic Ocean between us, I still always felt very close to her. When we would come and visit we usually stayed with her. One of my favorite things to do was play cards with her. She always played with me for as long as I wanted. As I grew a little older I remember drinking tea with her. Even now as an adult I actually prefer English Tea over coffee (although I drink both). But I can remember almost forcing myself to like my tea without sugar (apparently it was an acquired taste at that age). But I did it because I wanted to be like my Nanny and impress her by being able to drink it just like she did, which was milk, no sugar. When she died I asked my mum to bring back from England for me one of her tea cups. At the time she asked me why because it wasn't like she had especially fancy tea cups. But that didn't matter to me. I wanted one of my Nanny's tea cups because that's one of the things I enjoyed doing most with her was sitting down for a cup of tea.

Here is a view of the actual nature reserve.
Wyland and myself.
This was up the street from Pagham Harbour. It just looked like such a stereotypical English cottage. I had to take a picture because it just seemed picture worthy!

Thomas A'Beckett Church - Pagham

1 comment:

Hilary said...

What a sweet tribute to your grandmother. That's cool you got to go back and visit the places, people and memories that mean so much to you!
And all the pictures are beautiful, I really want to go to England right now!